Paediatric First Aid
Paediatric First Aid is an ideal first aid course if you work within a childcare setting and you are the only first aider available.
Paediatric First Aid is ideal if you are the first aider accompanying children on a school trip, you work in a childcare nursery, school, or if you are a childminder.
On this paediatric first aid course, you will learn how to safely manage an unconscious casualty and learn how to give essential life-saving resuscitation to a casualty who has stopped breathing and you will also learn how to use an AED
Paediatric First Aid Syllabus
Understand the role and responsibilities of a Paediatric First Aider in reference to:
- Preventing cross infection
- Importance of recording incidents and actions
- Using available first aid equipment
- Assessing the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly, and effectively in an emergency
Be able to provide first aid for an infant or child who:
- is unresponsive but breathing normally
- is unresponsive but NOT breathing normally
- is choking
- has external bleeding
- is suffering from medical shock
- has injuries to the head, neck, or back
- is suffering from bites, stings, and minor injuries (splinters, cuts, grazes, or bruising
- has suspected fracture
- has a foreign body in eyes, ears, or nose
- has minor burns or scalds
- is having a seizure
- has had an electric shock
- has sudden poisoning
- is suffering from anaphylactic shock
- has diabetes
- has asthma
- has meningitis
- has allergic reactions
- has febrile convulsions
12 guided learning hours (2days)
Practical observations during your training days and a final multi-choice question (MCQs) paper at the end of your paediatric first aid course.
Candidates who successfully pass all of the practical elements of the course and pas the final MCQ paper will be awarded an Ofqual approved QNUK Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (RQF)
This is valid for 3 years from the date of your course, you will receive an A4 size certificate and also a wallet/purse size plastic qualification card.
It is recommended that learners have a minimum of level 1 literacy or equivalent.
This qualification is for those over 14 years of age.
Candidates should be physically capable of providing first aid such as CPR to a casualty on the floor.
This Paediatric First Aid qualification is available to learners in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
This qualification can be delivered in other countries, however, learners should be aware that the protocols meet UK guidelines.