Christmas is here again what possibly could go wrong

Christmas is here again, what could possibly go wrong?

It is that time of year again, and as we know, Christmas can be a magical time for both our younger and older loved ones. However, when the alcohol starts to flow, accidents happen, usually in the kitchen, where people cut themselves or have accidents with sharp objects.

According to RoSPA, the number of people who visit there local A&E department increases by over 80,000 in the UK, and 6,000 of those people are admitted, which is a startling statistic any time of the year.

Preparing and cooking the festive feast has its hazards

With so many people working in the kitchen to prepare the festive feast, it can be a prime location for accidents, with 1 in 10 people suffering serious burns from hot fats or liquids and 1 in 5 suffering serious cuts.

Most people who have accidents do not know what to do in these situations, so a first aid qualification, such as a 1-day Emergency First Aid at Work course, would equip them with the knowledge and skills to treat the injuries and get the patient to A&E.

Burns are not only painful; they can leave scars and are easily infected, which can exacerbate the situation.

How safe are our children’s toys?

These days, children’s toys have to adhere to stringent safety standards and feature screw-down battery covers or battery hatches that are challenging for a small child to open.

However, musical Christmas cards and annoying musical hats are exempt from the regulation, making it very simple for a child to swallow one of these batteries. The button batteries in those musical Christmas cards and hats are shiny, interesting to small children, and easily ingested. If a child is not discovered and sent to A&E right away, they can kill them in a matter of hours.

Hospitals across the UK are reporting an increase in children swallowing button batteries and small magnets, some of which are fatal.

Children are using these magnets to mimic cheek and tongue studs, which can have disastrous consequences if swallowed. Admissions have increased significantly over the past year, with some A&Es now seeing at least one a week.

christmas

We are in such a rush to get things done.

Turkey is a favourite dish in many homes during Christmastime and takes a while to cook properly; sadly, many people still end up at A&E with food poisoning. Salmonella poisoning rises during this time of year and can prove fatal to the young and the old.

Our festive meals can be a great cause of food poisoning during Christmas, especially with undercooked turkey or chicken.

Christmas plants

A lot of people purchase Christmas plants to go with their decorations for the festive season. However, some plants can be extremely toxic if consumed, or they can trigger a severe allergic reaction.

Mistletoe is a popular choice for Christmas decor in many homes, and if consumed, the berries can slow down the heart rate and induce hallucinations.

Therefore, if you are unsure whether a plant can be toxic or not, it might be wise to check with a florist or garden centre before bringing it into your home, especially if you have small children or pets.

Conclusion

Everyone can enjoy Christmas; as long as they use a little extra caution and prepare ahead of time, we can all avoid unnecessary trips to the hospital.

A 1-day emergency first aid course would give you some good first aid skills to deal with most domestic accidents; if you want to learn more, we have a 3-day first aid at work course that will give you the skills to deal with most minor first aid incidents; and if you wanted it, child-specific paediatric first aid would be a great choice too.

First aid skills would come in very handy with all of the above and are handy at other times too.

© 2016 - 2024 Warwickshire First Aid Training Ltd | Head Office: 17, Carew Walk, Rugby. CV22 7JH | Registered in England & Wales No 10127259 | Vat Reg No GB 241 4701 39